Once you decide that it is time to put in a ceiling fan in one or more rooms in your home, there are many considerations that need to be made so that you can choose the right one.
Compared with low ceiling use ceiling fans, the best ceiling fans for high ceilings need to be selected carefully especially the size.
In a hurry? Get a quick pick here!
Industrial style ceiling fan for high ceilings with affordable price – Westinghouse Lighting 7861400 Ceiling Fan
3 blades high quality ceiling fan for bedroom – Vengeance High Quality Ceiling Fan
White ceiling fan with remote control for high ceilings – Minka-Aire F843-WH White Ceiling Fan
Indoor use large ceiling fan for large rooms with 3 long blades – Westinghouse Lighting 7800300 Large Ceiling Fan
Modern high ceiling use ceiling fan with LED lights – Honeywell 50611 Ceiling Fan With Lights for High Ceilings
To save your time, in this post, we will offer the top 8 best ceiling fans for high ceilings reviews as well as buying guides for you.
Now, let’s get started!
Benefits of Getting Ceiling Fans for High Ceilings
Having a ceiling fan in your space comes with a lot of benefits including but not limited to:
Ceiling fans for high ceilings help you stay comfortable.
A room, that is, installed with a ceiling fan shows a significant difference in the amount of air circulation creating a breeze that regulates the ambient temperatures. This saves you some money in the long run compared to the air conditioning bills.
Ceiling fans from different brands come in different designs that match your modern home. The ceiling has stylish finishes that come in different colors thus giving you a wide range to choose from.
Source of ambient light.
The latest ceiling fans come with light bulbs or a light kit where you can install a light in the middle of your fan. Since the fans are installed in the middle of your room, they provide ambient light which is an added bonus.
Lower heating and cooling bills.
Ceiling fans make your room feel cooler and also distribute warm air meaning that the thermostat can be set according to the climate.
Features of Ceiling Fans for High Ceilings
The height of your ceiling is the determinant of the ceiling fan that you will install. For high ceilings, you will consider a fan with different features from those meant for a low ceiling for maximum performance.
For higher ceilings, you need a ceiling fan with a longer downrod.
The standard ceiling fan height from the floor is set at 7 feet. with a higher ceiling fan, you will need a longer drop to cover this distance.
On the other hand, low ceilings do not need a ceiling fan downrod thus a low profile ceiling fan.
– Motor size and blade size.
Most of the fans have different motor sizes as well as blade sizes. The motor size and the blade size works in hand at determining the CFM of your ceiling fan.
With a high ceiling, you need a strong motor. This ensures that the air circulation is sufficient to serve your whole room with a high ceiling.
The size and number of the blades also determine the airflow.
More blades mean more air circulation.
If your rooms have a low ceiling, a larger ceiling fan might not be economical. The airflow might be too much for you and the energy bills will also be high. A medium to standard ceiling fan might be ideal for this type of ceiling.
When choosing your ceiling fan for high ceilings, efficiency is key.
Look at the watts of your ceiling motor which should be about 70 watts for the average ceiling fan. Any motor using such watts or less is considered as energy efficient.
However, with a high ceiling, you might not consider this much since you will need a ceiling fan with a stronger motor which might be more than 70 watts.
The design of a ceiling fan meant for a high ceiling should include the downrod and strong construction material to hold the strong motor. These are very crucial so as to achieve maximum air circulation.
How to Choose the Best Ceiling Fans For High Ceilings?
# Blade Span
The first step that you need to make is determining the blade span, which is something that can be calculated by understanding how wide or narrow each room is, as well as determining the square feet of each room.
# Blade Number
You also need to consider whether you have an odd or even number of blades determined by simple math.
For example, if you have an odd number of ceiling fan blades, you need to measure the distance from the center, all the way to the tip, and multiply that by two. This will give you the radius of the ceiling fan, and through multiplication, you get the exact diameter.
The diameter of a ceiling fan with even numbers of blades can be determined by simply measuring opposing blades from tip to tip. An example of how this measurement works shows as, if you are installing a ceiling fan with a 50-inch diameter, the square footage in the room is likely between 225 to 400 square feet.
# Motor Size
Mostly, high ceiling fans will come with an enhanced motor size as well as a blade pitch. Ideally, such a massive fan will be capable of moving enough air for the room. Unless more air moves within the house, it will hardly reach critical parts.
Despite being massive, the ceiling should not appear less elegant. It should also assure you of a relatively quieter performance.
# Ceiling Fan Size
Check the diameter of the given high ceiling fan. The bigger this diameter is, the better it is for your room.
For instance, a fan with a 44cm diameter will comfortably work for a 225 sq room. That is because it can effortlessly produce up to 2845 CFM, which will be enough for a large room.
# Safety Features
The safety features it comes with will always matter a lot. A high ceiling fan should pride itself on an enhanced safety level, which conforms to the set regulations.
# How It Is Mounted
If you are doing a flush mount, standard mount, or if you are working with a sloped ceiling, the measurements are going to be different vertically from the base of the blades all the way to the floor.
A standard flush mount requires a minimum of 7 feet of clearance, whereas a sloped ceiling mount requires 8 feet.
A standard mount with a much longer down rod needs 18 feet from the floor in most cases, with a foot and a half distance from the blade to the wall.
A ceiling fan that is affordable will likely be found at a national home improvement store. You can order these online, pick them up at the local store, or even have them delivered. Once you have found several possible options, you need to choose one not only based upon price but also upon how it will look in each room.
# How Much Can You Customize Your Ceiling Fan?
Indeed, a personalized high ceiling fan will always be vital in enhancing convenience.
Remember, it will be relatively high, and things like remote controls, decorative medallions, and lighting kits will be handy. These aspects will help in enhancing a cool breeze and lighting up the room.
A high ceiling fan that encompasses the variables mentioned above will always assure you of better results and experiences in the long run. H
owever, you will be free to consider other essentials, including elegance, power, and the number of blades too.
Best High Ceiling Ceiling Fans Reviewed
Best Selling: Westinghouse Lighting 7861400 Industrial Ceiling Fan
Are you looking for a relatively affordable option for a cathedral ceiling? This long downrod option will comfortably suit your vaulted ceilings.
- In most cases, it will feature different lengths, depending on how high your ceiling is.
- It can only hang at about 8 feet from the floor. If you choose a steel blade fan, you will need to put it at least ten feet away from the floor for optimal performance.
- This sturdy product prides itself on a 56-inch blade and a powerful motor that can provide you with up to 7105 CFM.
- It will also assure you of relatively high airflow efficiency, often over 113 CFM per watt.
- Did you know that it comes with a 5-speed ability? With this, you will be confident of more refreshing and cooling breezes within the house.
For Bedroom: Vengeance High Quality Ceiling Fan for High Ceilings
This option would be best for your bedroom.
- This product prides itself on not only a 56-inch blade but also a variable blade pitch.
- Its blades are ABS, and they have a silver finish.
- It has a maximum slope of about 20 degrees, and it assures you of a remarkable chrome finish motor.
- Usually, the product comes with an energy-efficient LED, which enhances directional downlighting.
- The LEDs are 6W and assure you of a remarkable output of 1300 lumen light. You will have to select from three speeds, including high, low, and medium.
- Feel free to use the remote control, which only ensures that the operation is more seamless.
This product stands out as the best for remote control. Its seamless operation and distinct design will also capture your heart, and instantly so.
- With this sleek design, you will find it suitable for a contemporary home.
- It will also come with all the necessary mounting hardware, making it convenient for you.
- Usually, you will be free to use the remote control for this 3-speed fan.
- It allows you to choose from high, low, and medium speeds at all times.
Modern Design: Casa Delta-Wing Modern Outdoor Ceiling Fan
Indeed, there are times that we just want to get modern designs, and this high ceiling fan is the solution you need.
- It boasts of a 52-inch blade span and a 9-degree blade pitch.
- Its motor size of 152*18 is also remarkable for any large room.
- It comes with an integrated LED light, which is 12W.
- It assures you of up to 11600 and a color temperature of 3000K.
- On top of that, it features a remote control that helps to control the fan. It will also be vital in switching its lights on and off.
- This product will work well in damp areas.
This product is yet another option for indoor use.
- It comes with a 56-inch blade, which makes it suitable for rooms that are as high as 18 feet. Ideally, it will work best in a room that measures 18*20 feet.
- This fan has up to three blades, and you can only hang it 10 feet from the floor.
- It boasts of a high-powered motor, which assures you of an enhanced airflow of about 6845 CFM.
- The airflow efficiency is approximately 113 CFM per watt, which is incredible for any room. While at it, it will consume no more than 6 watts of energy without the lighting kit.
- With this product, you are sure of up to 15 years of warranty on the motor. There will also be a two-year warranty for other parts.
With LED Lights: Honeywell 50611 Ceiling Fan With Lights for High Ceilings
This product is ideal for those in contemporary settings and those who want reliable LED lights.
- They are not only sleek but also feature topnotch ABS plastic blades that assure you of enhanced air rotation within the room.
- Ideally, you can use them in any part of the house, as they give you both comfort and a touch of class.
- It comes with 3 LED lights, which you will be free to control with remote control.
- These lights are dimmable and assure you of 350 lumens and a color temperature of 2700K.
- Its powerful motor is not only 3-speed but also reversible.
Ultra Quiet: RainierLight 52 inch Modern Crystal Ceiling Fan
Are you looking for a high ceiling fan that assures you of enhanced quiet? Look no further than this option.
- It is a 3-speed ceiling fan with a wooden finish. Remember, you will be free to rely on the remote control to pick whichever speed you prefer. Usually, it consumes no more than 110V for its operation.
- This product boasts of a mute fan ability, which allows you to enjoy a quiet performance at all times.
- It comes with double-roll mute bearings that enhance stable operation.
- You will be free to select from three distinct speeds, including high, medium, and low.
- With this, choosing a comfort level for a refreshing feel will hardly be a hassle. Besides, you will have a remote control at your disposal for more convenience.
Reversible Feature: Honeywell Ceiling Fans 50614-01
Here is your ultimate choice if you are looking for one with reversible features.
- Its warm rustic, dual finish chestnut blades, and bronze-finished motor housing will be worth being smitten with.
- This product flaunts Edison bulbs, which assure you of 2700K color temperature, 450 lumens, and 80 CRI.
- You will also enjoy a lifespan of up to 25000 hours.
- It boasts a reversible motor that is both powerful and quiet.
- On top of that, it has 3-speed settings that you will comfortably control remotely.
- What is more, it features smart sync abilities that detect motion. Isn’t this your dream high ceiling fan?
What Types of Ceiling Fans Are Perfect for High Ceilings?
The right ceiling fan placement ought to be 8 or 9 feet from your floor. This is the ideal height where you can feel the most air movements when the fan is blowing air.
The perfect ceiling fan for high ceilings should have a longer dropdown.
If the downrod is short, you will be required to purchase an additional downrod.
Although the downrod is the determinant of how high your ceiling fan will be, you still need a larger ceiling fan for high ceilings.
– Standard ceiling fans.
– Dual motor ceiling fan.
As the name suggests, the dual motor ceiling fans come with two motors.
– Hugger ceiling fans.
– Ceiling fans with remote control.
– Energy Star ceiling fans.
What Are the Ceiling Fan for High Ceilings Price?
The prices of ceiling fans vary depending on the brand and the size of the fan as well as the quality.
For a basic one or a two-speed fan for high ceilings with light fixtures and pull chains you can expect to pay between $20-$90.
For a better quality ceiling fan, for a high ceiling, with nickel finish, brass, and wood or a combination of materials, you can expect to pay between $200-$600.
For the high-end ceiling fans, the price ranges from $700-$2,200. Prices can be extreme up to $12,000 for systems with up to 6 ceiling fans that are mounted in a row and with multiple motors as well as variable speed controls.
The Anatomy Of A Ceiling Fan For High Ceilings
Ceiling fans are actually very simple devices, consisting of only four or five components.
As mentioned earlier, it begins with the rod that descends from the ceiling, the cylinder houses the electrical wires and also determines how low the ceiling fan will be.
There is the motor encased in one of the hundreds of different styles, as well as many different colors.
Blades are an important part of the allure when people are choosing one ceiling fan over another, so try to match it with the decor in each room. (Here for more beautifully designed ceiling fans: Best Looking Ceiling Fans Unique Designed).
The number of blades is typically four or five, and the more blades you have, the more air can be moved.
Additionally, the type of motor that you have also augmented how much air is actually blown, with five blades producing more wind and four. The type of blades that you have can also play a large role in the final choice that you make.
They can be made of many different materials including plastic, wood, and other materials, affecting how it looks, and also determining how effective it is in blowing air in each room.
For ceilings that are higher than the standard, an extended rod ceiling fan is recommended.
How High Do Ceilings Need to Be for a Ceiling Fan?
When installing a ceiling fan, there is a need to consider how far your fan needs to drop before starting the installation process. There are instances where the downrod that is packed with the ceiling fan is enough for installation.
In other cases, you might be required to buy a longer downrod depending on the height of your ceiling. Most of the ceiling fans available come with a downrod that is between 3 and 6 inches.
-Ceilings with 8 feet
With these heights, the fans are meant for a standard ceiling height of about 8 feet.
To achieve optimal airflow the blades will be suspended 10 inches from your ceiling.
For ceilings fans that are lower than 8 feet, you will need a low profile fan so as to maintain the 7 feet clearance between the ceiling and the floor.
-Ceilings below 7 feet
If the ceiling is below 7 feet and 9 inches, the chances are that it will not pass the 7 feet clearance rule.
When your ceiling is higher than 8 feet, you will need a longer downrod so that the position of the blades is between 8-10 feet from your floor.
Therefore, the standard ceiling fan height should be 7 feet from the floor.